Deadline: 13 March, 2019
World Nomads Travel Writing Scholarship 2019 is now open for new applicants. This year we’re looking for 3 aspiring travel writers to go on assignment in Portugal and be mentored by professional travel writer and contributor to The New York Times, Tim Neville.
On the trip you’ll attend a comprehensive travel writing workshop with Tim and witness the evolution of this age-old civilization as it emerges as a hub for digital nomads and creative. Then, you’ll be sent off to uncover the stories of the people who give life to the historical heart, sweeping coastlines and cobbled lanes of one of the oldest countries in Europe.
The Winners will
- Receive a round-trip airfare from your closet international airport to Portugal.
- Attend a 4- day workshop with Tim Neville and receive a portfolio review from norie Quintos.
- Embark in a bespoke 10-day adventure with US $1000 and free accommodation.
- Score a copy of lonely planet’s ‘How to be a Travel Writer’.
- Explore more of Portugal and Europe with a 1-month Global Eurail (or interrail) pass.
- As always, travel insurance for the trip provided by World Nomads
Open to aspiring writers from all around the world
The Scholarship is not open to professional writers of any kind. Essentially this is a learning opportunity for someone who is keen to be mentored.
For the purposes of this opportunity, world nomad would consider you to be professional writer if you have been published regularly in commercial blogs, newspaper, magazines or journals. They would consider you to be a professional writer if you derive more than 25% of your income from writing of any kind
To be chosen for this scholarship, you will need to convince the judging panel through your writing that you have the spirit of adventure and passion for travel writing. Your writing should showcase the following:
- Great Descriptive ability(without getting flowery)
- A well-structured narrative and a strong eye for detail
- Ability to uncover a great travel story and tell it in a compelling way
- Excellent Spelling and grammar and a knack for avoiding clichés
Select your story Theme
- ‘A leap into the unknown’.
- ‘Making a local connection’.
- ‘I didn’t Expect to find’
Write a travel Story
Use your chosen theme to craft a compelling story about a travel experience you have had in 700 words or less
Complete the Application form Here
For more Information, Visit World Nomads Travel Writing Scholarship